Click on whatever you wanna read:

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ivy reading?!?

Saturday I was painting the entrance to our condo. I asked Ivy to please stay away and do her own thing while I painted. She pulled out a couple of books to look at, and while I am painting I hear this: "ba-ba-ba-ba-oooo-ooooo-oooo-ooooo-ka-ka-ka-ka". It went on for long enough to catch my attention and I looked over to see what she was doing. Her little finger was underlining the letters of the word "BOOK" while she sounded out the letters!! It was like the scene of a movie where a boy's pet dog opens his mouth and speaks English, followed by the cliche line, "I didn't know you could speak!"

I have not been teaching Ivy to read or sound out letters at all. I guess it all was learned through the Leap Frog movies "Letter factory" and "word Factory", and observing Kezia's learning. Today in the car she was sounding out words as well while reading a book: dog, fog, bog, etc. Well, I guess they're ready when they're ready. She has been spying letter shapes in objects, too. Often she would say, "Look, Mom! It looks like an X (or a T or an H or whatever)". Smart kid, shocked mom.

A funny thing about Ivy: I teach the preschool class on Wednesday mornings and my friend takes Ivy with her son to a music class. Ivy loves it, and she better, because it costs $13/class!! Every time after class, we ask Ivy what she did, and EVERY TIME it is the same answer: "We sing Ba Ba ba" $13 too much, I think.

No comments: