Click on whatever you wanna read:

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kezia's party

We had a great party -- mostly due to a very timely call from my "angel sister" Janae, who happened to call 1 1/2 hours before the party was to begin and answered a last minute question: "so what should I do for the party?" With the rush of life lately, I knew I wanted to do a water balloon toss, but I couldn't think of much after that. She had great ideas, including "Dribble, dribble, dunk", which is the same as "Duck duck goose", except that you flick water from a cup on the childrens' heads while you say, "dribble". Then for the "goose", you say "Dunk!" and pour the water from the cuo on that child's head. They LOVED it!



We bounced the waterballoons on a parachute and did a water balloon toss. We also did a relay with cups with holes in it to see which team could fill a pitcher the fastest.


Nate left to get the birthday cake,but when he arrived at home he noticed the wax paper was stuck on, so we ended up waiting a good 20 minutes for him to come back! By that time my brain was so fried from party-game-thinking, that I could not think up a sensible game to play. We ended up playing some lame relay games while we waited and then in desparation I taught the kids to rant "We want birthday cake!" Oh well, sorry, parents. It was worth the wait, though.
Nate and the girls had made a FANTASTIC ice cream cake that rivaled the one he made for my birthday. Isn't it beautiful? And it tasted even better than it looked!




Instead of bringing gifts, I asked that everyone bring a used toy to trade. I got the idea from a friend of mine and I thought it was so great -- everyone got a gift and no one had to go shopping and we wouldn't end up with a Barbie doll -- or would we?!?!?

I am very against Barbie dolls-- too disproportionate, dainty, and immodest in most cases. I view it as a young girl's introduction to a society that expects a certain perfect stereotype of women. So I swore we would never have a Barbie doll in the house. Well, when we were in the car to go home, I saw what Ivy had chosen from the used toy pile: a barbie doll. And one friend chose to give Kezia a gift. You guessed it: it was a barbie doll! Was it inevitable?!? What am I to do?

That morning she ripped into our gifts to her: a skateboard and stickers to decorate it, and a human body activity kit that we played with for most of the birthday morning.

3 comments:

The Fredericks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Fredericks said...

I'm so glad to hear it turned out for you. As for Barbies, it is inevitable. I can't help much with the disproportionate, etc., but my main beef was the modesty. I hated seeing naked barbies around the house growing up. To fix it, I just took a sharpie and drew on swimsuits. It worked great. Just let them thoroughly dry before the girls play with them!

Swenson Family said...

It looks like Kezia had a great birthday. What a big bike! She is growing up!